journal (Mon Dec 28 2020)
Today I learnt
- Chrome automatically redirects from http to https if it has cached it before. And you get a "Connection Refused error". This can be very confusing. You can instead try to ping/curl or open the url in an incognito window to see if the site is actually running.
- Toggl report api is open source! This means that I can try to do my own visualizations on my personal data.
- Vercel no longer lets you encrypt environment variables that are in the "development" category. Which seems reasonable enough to me.
- There is a login shell vs a regular shell. Commands in the
bash_profileare only run when you open a login shell. When you create a integrated shell in vscode in Ubuntu, you get a standard shell, so it does not read commands in
~/.bash_profile. The workaround in this github comment does the trick.
Classifications of data
- Categorical: Data that can be divided into groups. e.g. gender, race, hair color.
- Ordinal: Like categorical, but there is an order e.g weight class, education level, income range. Usually used in questionnaires.
- Quantitative: Numerical data
- Temporal: Dates and time
- Spacial: Cities, regions